Kale and Tomato Tortellini
June 1, 2017
: 10 min
: 15 min
: 25 min
This creamy pasta is flavorful, nutritious, and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- 1-625 gram (22 ounces
- serves 4) package of tortellini (herbed veal, spinach and cheese, etc.)
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Basil Leaves (Roughly Chopped)
- 1 Punnet of Cherry of Medley Tomatoes (Halved)
- 6-8 Kale Leaves (Separate leaves from stems, Chop leaves thin)
- 3 Handfuls of Baby Spinach (Roughly Chopped)
- 1 Brown Onion (Diced)
- 8 Large Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1-800g Can (1 lb and 12 oz) of Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tbsp Plain Flour
- ⅔ cup Fresh Cream
- 1 ½ cup Full-fat Milk
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Salt (adjust to your liking)
- 2 tsp Red Chili flakes (change depending on the heat you want)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Step 1 In a large pot fill water ¾ high and set to boil. While water is boiling, wash and begin chopping your veggies. Once water is boiled, add tortellini and cook per package instructions.
- Step 2 When tortellini is done (al dente), strain. Note: After straining, I like to add a drizzle of olive oil over pasta and toss, to prevent sticking to the strainer.
- Step 3 In the same large pot (set to low-medium heat), add butter and olive oil. Add the diced onions and cook until partially clear (2-3 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic- stir until fully combined. Add milk and cream, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened- stirring frequently.
- Step 4 Add the can of diced tomatoes, the chopped kale and spinach, and cover the pot to help cook down the leafy greens.
- Step 5 Once kale and spinach have cooked down (about 6 minutes), gently stir in the tortellini. Flavor with salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
- Step 6 Take pot off heat, and stir in halved tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve and top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!