Lavender Crème Brûlée
May 22, 2017
: 20 min
: 1 hr
: 1 hr 20 min
: Not Too Tricky
A soft, creamy dessert that is great for entertaining. Make ahead of time and leave to chill before adding that extra crunchy topping!
- 300ML (1 ¼ cup) cream
- 50ML (¼ cup) full fat milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp Lavender Flowers (fresh or dried)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp white sugar (plus 3 Tbsp for topping)
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 120 C or 250 F (conventional). Put cream, milk, and lavender flowers in a small pot and boil for 5 minutes. Take off heat, set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Step 2
- Step 3 Put the 4 egg yolks and 3 Tbsp sugar in a small bowl and beat with an electric beater on high until pale and thick. Add ½ Tbsp vanilla extract.
- Step 4 Strain out the lavender flowers from the cream, then add the lavender cream to the egg mixture- stir until fully combined. Pour mixture evenly into two ramekins. Remove and discard the top layer of foam from each ramekin.
- Step 5 Place ramekins in a high-walled pan and fill pan with boiling water ¾ way up sides of dishes. Bake for 50 minutes-1 hour or until set (The center only slightly jiggles). Remove, then leave to cool (about 30 minutes). Note: If you are baking these ahead of time, save the following steps for right before you are ready to serve dessert.
- Step 6 Heat broiler (Use a chef’s torch if you have one). Sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp of sugar evenly over each ramekin. Lightly spray water over the sugar (just enough to dampen), so it will caramelize better when heated. Broil or torch the sugar until lightly browned and caramelized. Garnish with lavender flowers and serve.