Chicken Stir Fry
May 17, 2017
: 20 min
: 20 min
: 40 min
: Not Too Tricky
A zesty and fresh stir fry that is definitely worth the chopping!
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tsp Chinese 5 spice
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin
- 6 Tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
- 2 cups White Rice
- 2 Chicken Thighs (diced 1-inch cubes)
- 2 Carrots (thinly chopped)
- 1 Brown Onion (roughly chopped)
- 6 Medium Garlic Cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 small Yellow Bell Pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 Red Chilies (thinly sliced with seeds
- one used for garnish)
- 1 Head of Broccoli (chopped)
- 1 Lime (Sliced into 4 wedges
- 2 used for garnish)
- Zest of 1 Lime (half used for garnish)
- 1-inch (about 2.5 cm) Ginger Root (Cut into short strips)
- 2 cups of Bean sprouts
- 2 Green onions (chopped)
- Step 1 Put 2 cups of white rice in a medium pot. Wash rice at least 3 times, then add enough water to cover 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the rice. Cook uncovered until boiling (3 min.). Stir in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt, then reduce temperature to a low simmer and cover. Cook for about 6 minutes stirring frequently. Turn off heat and keep covered until ready to serve. Note: Make water isn’t completely cooked off so rice isn’t dry when served.
- Step 2 Prep the sauce by heating a small saucepan to medium heat. Slightly char 1/2 of the sliced ginger root. Take off heat and stir together: ½ cup water, 6 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of Hoisin, and 1 tsp chinese 5 spice.
- Step 3 Reduce sauce mixture by ⅔ then add ½ of the lime juice and ½ of the lime zest. Pour ½ of the sauce into a separate bowl (set aside) and leave the rest in the saucepan, and set to medium-high heat.
- Step 4 Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch cubes. Add chicken to boiling sauce mixture until fully cooked, then reduce heat. Stir frequently.
- Step 5 Heat a saute pan to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil. Cook onions and carrots 3-5 minutes. Add the other ½ of the ginger, the 6 cloves of garlic, both bell peppers, and only one of the red chiles to the saute pan, stirring frequently. Add ½ tsp ginger powder, ½ tsp of garlic powder, and ½ tsp black pepper. Add the other ½ of the sauce mixture that you set aside. Add the broccoli for about 2 minutes (don’t overcook). Stir in the bean sprouts and the chopped green onions, then turn off heat.
- Step 6 Serve hot and garnish your dishes with your second thinly sliced red chili (depending on the heat you want), 2 lime wedges, and sprinkle the other half of the lime zest. Enjoy immediately.