Mexican Chicken and Rice
May 17, 2017
: 15 min
: 25 min
: 40 min
This one-pot recipe is great for a wholesome, family meal full of nutrition and flavor!
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 cups of White Rice
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1 White Onion (diced small)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced small)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced small)
- 8 Garlic Cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 cup of Corn Kernels
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Jalapeno Chilies (keep seeds to adjust spiciness)
- 1 Gourmet Tomato (gutted and diced)
- 1 Lime
- Crumbly Feta or Cojita Cheese (mexican crumble cheese)
- Step 1 Set a large, deep pan or pot (I used a 4.2 litre enamel cast iron pot) on medium/high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of Olive oil and a cup of water. Note: Be sure to add just enough water to cover the base of the pot, so neither the pot nor the chicken scorch. Add the chicken to the pot. Mix all of the dry spices together in a small bowl and heavily season both side of each chicken until no more spice remains.
- Step 2 While the chicken is cooking, wash and chop your fruits, herbs, and vegetables. After the chicken is done, put it in a bowl to rest and cover with tin foil. Do not wash the pot, simply cook off the remaining water, if any (the remaining spice in the pot will help flavor the rice), and set to medium heat.
- Step 3 Add 1 tablespoon of Olive oil and toast the white rice on medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the diced White Onion, Green Bell Pepper and Red Bell Pepper to the rice, stirring frequently. Add enough water to cover 2cm above the rice and vegetable mixture. Add the chopped Garlic, 1 chopped Jalapeno, 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste, and the Chicken Bouillon Cube. Cover the rice mixture for 10 minutes or until fully cooked. Stir frequently.
- Step 4 While the rice is cooking, separate the stems and leaves of the cilantro. Roughly chop the leaves and set aside. Chop the cilantro stems finely and throw it in the pot. Add 1 cup of Corn Kernels to the pot as well.
- Step 5 When the rice is done, uncover the chicken and place in the pot, on top of the rice. Cut and squeeze the lime juice over the entire dish. Sprinkle Cheese on the Chicken Breast (If it’s not a crumble cheese, put the lid on so it can melt over the Chicken). Garnish with diced Tomato, Cilantro leaves, and Sliced Jalapenos (If you like extra heat). Enjoy!